Each year, IIT celebrates its diversity and global opportunities by participating in International Education Week (IEW), taking place October 20-24, 2014. The worldwide celebration of IEW offers a unique opportunity to reach out to people in every nation, to develop a broader understanding of world cultures and languages, and to reiterate the conviction that enduring friendships and partnerships created through international education and exchange are important for a secure future for all countries. You can make a difference by sharing with others your culture, history, government, language, food, holidays, school system, celebrations, sports, and traditions.
The International Center is looking for students and student organizations to take part in this year’s International Education Week so that it will be the biggest and best ever at IIT. The week will begin with Taste of IIT plus an annual photo contest, and will end with an International Fest. The activities will be promoted through Facebook, TechNews, posters, and outreach to departments and various schools.
Some ideas include:
– Foreign Film Fest — different films from different countries each night of the week
– Dance classes
– Sports clinics or contests — examples include cricket and lacrosse
– Cooking sessions
– Global Fashion Show
– Discussions of important social/political issues around the world such as microfinance, global health (Feel free to ask professors to get involved!)
– Global Quiz Bowl in The Bog
– Restaurant outings or neighborhood tours
– A visit to the Chicago Cultural Center
Interested sponsors should email Jen Sherdan at email@example.com.
This event reflects the values expressed in IIT’s Diversity Statement and is intended to promote diversity at IIT.