The Illinois Tech women’s soccer team played host to Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC) foe Aurora University at a rainy Stuart Field on Wednesday night. Illinois Tech (4-4, 2-1 NACC) defeated the Spartans (2-7-1, 0-2-1 NACC) by a score of 2-1 thanks to two Emily Dashiell goals, including the game-winner in overtime.
How it Happened
- Offense was at a premium early, with each team attempting just one shot over the first 15 minutes. Both attempts were saved by the keeper.
- Illinois Tech broke through in the 27th minute on the team’s third shot of the match. Erin James gave a nice lead pass to Dashiell, who made a move and then scored a goal from the left.
- Aurora struck first after halftime as Corina Leyva scored after a nice pass from Anessa Munoz.
- Illinois Tech had several chances late in the match, but were turned away each time to send the match into overtime.
- Just 57 seconds into the extra period, Dasihell delivered again. This time, she won a 1-on-1 battle on the left side of the net and immediately fired a shot into the back right corner.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Dashiell stole the show, scoring both goals and leading the team in shots (seven) and shots on goal (four).
- James had the lone assist for Illinois Tech and also attempted a shot on net.
- Catherine Klemp earned the win and made four saves in net.
Stats to Know
- Shots were tight all match, with the Scarlet Hawks slightly edging out the Spartans (15-13).
- Each keeper made four saves.
- Illinois Tech won despite attempting only four corner kicks compared to AU’s six. Illinois Tech was shut out from corners over the first 45 minutes.
- Leyva was effective for Aurora, scoring the team’s lone goal and having all four of her shots go on net.
- The Scarlet Hawks play host to NACC foe Milwaukee School of Engineering at 6 p.m. Saturday. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.