The Illinois Tech Women’s Lacrosse team remained unbeaten in MWLC play on April 13, taking on the Concordia University Chicago Cougars. After a slow start, the Scarlet Hawks found a second gear and defeated CUC 21-8.
- Illinois Tech (13-1, 8-0 MWLC)
- Concordia-Chicago (4-10, 1-8 MWLC)
How it Happened
- The two teams traded goals over the first 15 minutes of action, as a Cougars tally made the score 3-3 at the 15:12 mark.
- With the Hawks down 5-4, Isabella Rubin scored two goals over a 30-second span to give Illinois Tech a 6-5 lead with 8:36 left in the first half.
- CUC responded with two quick goals to take the lead back, but Rubin and Madison Meredith found the back of the net before halftime to give the Scarlet Hawks an 8-7 lead at intermission.
- The second half was all Scarlet Hawks. Alyssa DeLuca, Rubin, and Sarah Maciorowski all scored over the first eight minutes to increase the lead to 11-7.
- After a quick CUC tally with 22:30 to play, the Scarlet Hawks rattled off 10 unanswered goals the rest of the way. Mimi Hoeller‘s first goal of the season highlighted the impressive run.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Rubin led the team with six goals, five ground balls, and four caused turnovers. She also had four draw controls and an assist.
- Meredith scored five times while adding two assists, four draw controls, and three ground balls.
- DeLuca scored four times and had a season-high three assists. She also had five draw controls to lead the team.
- Maciorowski had a season-high four goals to go along with an assist and three ground balls.
- Hoeller scored her first goal of the season while also causing three turnovers and adding two ground balls.
- Abbie Reynolds earned her 13th win, making four saves in just under 37 minutes while allowing just one goal.
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks committed just 17 turnovers compared to 26 for CUC.
- Illinois Tech had the advantage in shots 40-18.
- The Scarlet Hawks were 16-of-17 on clears. The Cougars were 12-of-22.
- Arguably the biggest game in the four-year history of the Illinois Tech Women’s Lacrosse program is up next on the schedule. The Scarlet Hawks will take on the MWLC’s other unbeaten opponent, Concordia University Wisconsin, on Tuesday, April 18 at 7 p.m. at Stuart Field. The winner will have sole possession of first place in the MWLC with just two matches to play. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.