Robert “Bob” Filler, who, beginning in the 1950s served as a professor of chemistry, chair of the Department of Chemistry, and dean of then-Lewis College of Sciences and Letters, passed away on January 8. He is remembered as being a passionate researcher and scholar, who received numerous grants, published more than 180 papers, and advised many of graduate students. Filler was an active member of the American Chemical Society from 1947, and in 1976 chaired the fluorine division. He lectured widely, serving as a visiting professor at universities in England, Israel, and Germany, as well as giving papers in Russia, Poland and Japan. Filler also co-founded an R&D startup, working into his 90s.