After two tight losses over the weekend, the Illinois Tech Men’s Soccer team put forth an outstanding effort on September 5 at Stuart Field. Holding the MacMurray Highlanders without a shot, the Scarlet Hawks cruised to a 6-0 victory.
How it Happened
- It did not take long for Illinois Tech to take control, dominating possession from the start. The offense paid off in the 11th minute when Norikazu Honda made a cross to Brandon Bortei-Doku, who then delivered a header to Zachary Whritenour for the goal.
- In the 25th minute, Noah Kwortnik scored his first collegiate goal on a header off of a Bortei-Doku corner kick.
- The lead extended to 3-0 early in the second half when Diego Gutierrez Coronel scored from in front of the net in the 67th minute.
- Jonathon Clarke scored the team’s fourth goal in the 78th minute, rifling a a shot from about 30 yards away.
- Just three minutes later, Bortei-Doku scored his first goal of the match and his second of the season in a similar manner to Clarke’s.
- The scoring rounded out in the 84th minute. First year Ryan Fagan scored on a header from an Oluwaseun Ogunsanya pass.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Bortei-Doku had a banner day. The third-year player scored once, was the only Scarlet Hawk to dish out two assists, led the team with eight shots, and attempted three shots on goal.
- Gutierrez Coronel scored once on seven shots and a team-high five shots on goal.
- Whritenour scored on five shots (three on goal).
- Kwortnik, Fagan, and Clarke all notched goals. Ogunsanya added an assist.
Stats to Know
- The final count on shots was 43-0 in favor of Illinois Tech. The Scarlet Hawks also had 20 shots on net.
- Illinois Tech led in corners 12-0.
- MacMurray made 14 saves on the night.
- Illinois Tech is back home on Sunday, September 10 at 5 p.m. when Carroll University visits Stuart Field. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.