The Illinois Tech men’s soccer team played arguably its toughest match on the 2019 schedule Wednesday night, heading to nearby North Park University to oppose the Vikings. Ranked No. 18 in the latest United Soccer Coaches NCAA Division III poll, North Park (4-2) downed the Scarlet Hawks (2-4) by a 2-0 result.
How it Happened
- North Park peppered the Scarlet Hawks with shots throughout much of the first half, with nine over the first 20 minutes. However, all of NPU’s first five shots on target were saved by Illinois Tech keeper Alex Kern.
- In the 42nd minute, the Vikings finally found a way to get one past the senior. Angel Barriga took possession from Illinois Tech before finding Patrick Knap for the first goal of the match.
- Just before halftime, Illinois Tech had a chance on a corner kick and a North Park foul, but the score remained the same at intermission.
- The Vikings were able to score a second in the 71st minute, this time with Barriga finding William Sandkvist for the tally.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Kern turned away eight of the ten shots on net he saw.
- Matthew Beasley, Noah Kwortnik, and Luigi Michelin all recorded shots for the Scarlet Hawks.
- Illinois Tech hosts Moody Bible Institute in its Homecoming match on Saturday at 6 p.m. Live audio, video, and stats will be available, with the live audio powered by Illinois Media School.