How It Happened
- The match started slowly with both teams unable to generate much offense. Monmouth’s goalie Chase Stroud only had to make one save in the first half while Illinois Tech’s goalie Alex Kern only faced two stops. After minimal momentum for either side, the half ended with a scoreless tie.
- Illinois Tech started the second half strong, recording seven shots on Stroud in the first 20 minutes after the half but remained goalless. The Scots surged late in the period with several scoring chances, including a free kick from Jack Ressler that shot off the crossbar over the goal. Finally, with only 37 seconds left in regulation, the Scarlet Hawks swarmed the Monmouth goal. After several deflections, Christopher Reed was able to knock in the only goal of the match from an Oluwaseun Ogunsanya assist.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Reed scored once on two shots on goal.
- Ogunsanya had an assist and three shots.
- Brandon Bortei-Doku had a team-leading four shots with one on goal.
- Zachary Whritenour added two shots.
- Kern saved three shots for the shutout.
Stats to Know
- Shots were in favor of Illinois Tech 17-13.
- Illinois Tech led in shots on goal four to three.
- The Scarlet Hawks also led in corner kicks (9-3).
- Illinois Tech had 11 fouls (including two yellow cards) to Monmouth’s three.
- The Scarlet Hawks will look to close out the regular season on a high note as they host Senior Day on Saturday, October 28 at 6 p.m. at Stuart Field against Moody Bible. Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.