The Illinois Tech Men’s Soccer team hosted an early evening contest on October 4 against Maranatha Baptist University. Illinois Tech scored five goals in the second half and four in the last eight minutes of the match, propelling the team to a 7-1 win.
How it Happened
- It was the Scarlet Hawks who struck first, as Ryan Blackburn scored his first goal of the season. The unassisted goal in the 24th minute put Illinois Tech up 1-0.
- After a MBU tally, Santiago Bartolome scored his first of two penalty kick goals in the 35th minute to put the Hawks up 2-1. It was just 57 seconds after Maranatha tied the score.
- Bartolome took advantage of another penalty kick opportunity in the 59th minute to increase the cushion to 3-1. It was Bartolome’s fifth goal of the season.
- In the 82nd minute, the Scarlet Hawks would score the first of four goals over the last 7:22 of the match. Bartolome found Noah Griffith to make the score 4-1.
- Diego Gutierrez Coronel proceeded to take over, scoring twice in just 38 seconds (85th and 86th minutes). The goals were his first two of the season.
- To round out the scoring, Brandon Bortei-Doku (first goal of the season) scored off of a pass from Oluwaseun Ogunsanya (second assist of the season) to bring the final to 7-1.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Bartolome scored twice and also tallied two assists. He led the Hawks with seven shots and four shots on net.
- Gutierrez Coronel scored twice on five shots (four on net).
- Griffith scored once on six shots (three on net).
- Bortei-Doku scored once on four shots (two on net).
- Blackburn scored once on two shots (both on net).
- Ogunsanya added an assist.
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks have outscored opponents 13-1 over the last two matches.
- Illinois Tech is now 4-2 in matches at Stuart Field this season.
- The Scarlet Hawks outshot MBU 35-5.
- Illinois Tech attempted a season-high 20 shots on goal.
- Illinois Tech will travel to St. Norbert College on Saturday, October 8 to take on the Green Knights. Match time is 2:30 p.m.