The Illinois Tech Men’s Soccer team faced Maranatha Baptist University on September 26 and won on a golden goal in double overtime for the second straight match, as Christopher Reed once again provided the late-game heroics.
How it Happened
- Maranatha only attempted three shots on the day, but MBU got one of those to go for a goal in just the third minute of the match to take a 1-0 lead.
- In the 25th minute, Peter Fouchet found the back of the net courtesy of a Quentin Dreilich pass to tie the score.
- The Sabercats continued to make the most of limited chances, scoring again in the 35th minute to regain the advantage.
- Just before halftime, Reed stuck for his first goal. Jacob Brown recorded his first collegiate point in the 42nd minute, finding Reed for the tally. The score was 2-2 heading into halftime.
- Illinois Tech held MBU without a shot in the second half, but was unable to take advantage of opportunities of its own. Despite 10 shots over the 45-minute half, regulation ended with a 2-2 score.
- The Scarlet Hawks continued to stifle MBU in the first overtime period, dominating possession. Marantha survived both a shot on goal and a corner kick from Norikazu Honda late in the period to force a second overtime.
- Seeking a golden goal, the Scarlet Hawks came out aggressive in the second overtime, taking a shot in six of its first seven minutes. After taking possession and creating a breakaway, Zachary Whritenour found Reed, who once again executed for an Illinois Tech victory.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Reed continues to emerge as one of Illinois Tech’s top weapons. The sophomore transfer forward took a team-high seven shots with three shots on goal, resulting in his two tallies and his second game-winner in double overtime in as many matches.
- Dreilich had an assist to go along with six shot attempts, a season-high for the senior.
- Fouchet scored on one of his four shots.
- Whritenour had an assist and two shots.
- Brown tallied his first collegiate point with an assist.
Stats to Know
- The win pushed Illinois Tech over .500, as the team is now 4-3-1 on the year.
- The Scarlet Hawks outshot the Sabercats 32-3.
- Illinois Tech committed 19 fouls compared to just six for MBU.
- The Scarlet Hawks are back in action on Sunday, October 1 against Ripon College. Illinois Tech will play on the road at 3:30 p.m.CT.