CHICAGO—Playing outside in the cold elements did not phase the Scarlet Hawks on Saturday, as the Scarlet Hawks opened the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC) slate against Lakeland and Marian Universities. The Scarlet Hawks (10-8, 2-0 NACC) down both schools by scores of 9-0.
Match Highlights: Lakeland
- The Scarlet Hawks absolutely rolled through doubles, allowing just one victory to Lakeland out of 25 possible games.
- The top duo of Franklin Zhong and Pol de Santiago were the 8-1 winners in the No. 1 spot.
- Mohammed Shamel/Yousef Abdo and Andrew Woltman/Brody Croonquist won 8-0 in the No. 2 and No. 3 spots.
- In singles, the Hawks were just as impressive, with five of Tech’s winners recording 6-0, 6-0 finals.
- Zhong (No. 1), Davis Housman (No. 2), Abhishek Rana (No. 3), Huy Ngo (No. 5), and Brian Ma (No. 6) were the 6-0, 6-0 winners for the Scarlet Hawks.
- Also, Jack Pio was a 6-3, 6-0 winner in No. 4 against Lakeland’s Jacob Larson.
Match Highlights: Marian
- Tech was just as dominant against the Sabres, winning 16 of the 17 doubles games as well as 40 of 43 singles games.
- In doubles, de Santiago and Adam Laitinen combined for an 8-1 win in the No. 1 spot, while Davis Housman and Croonquist were victorious by an 8-0 score in No. 2.
- Two out of the five Tech singles matches ended in 6-0, 6-0 scores, with Shamel (No. 3) and Croonquist (No. 4) earning those wins.
- Meanwhile, Abdo (No. 1), Zhong (No. 2), and Mullane (No. 5) won in the 6-1, 6-0 variety.
- Tech won the No. 3 doubles and No. 6 singles matches by default.
- The Scarlet Hawks will face University of Chicago, who is ranked number one in the county in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association Division III poll, on Thursday at 4 p.m.