The Illinois Tech Men’s Volleyball team hosted a tri-match on February 25, opposing Marian University (Wisconsin) and North Central College (Illinois). Illinois Tech dropped both matches in straight sets.
- Marian 3, Illinois Tech 0 (20-25, 18-25, 22-25)
- NCC 3, Illinois Tech 0 (18-25, 17-25, 23-25)
How it Happened
- Illinois Tech played Marian tough in the first set, battling the Sabres early until a four-0 run late in the match put the Wisconsin school up 19-13. After the Sabres closed out set one, the momentum carried over into set two, as the visitors never trailed in the set.
- The third and final set against Marian was back-and-fourth throughout. With Illinois Tech up 19-18 late, Marian scored three in a row to take a two-point lead, holding on to defeat the Scarlet Hawks.
- Against North Central, the Scarlet Hawks allowed the Cardinals to build a large early lead and never recovered in set one. In set two, Illinois Tech lead by as many as three (8-5), but the Cardinals never trailed after a four-0 run put the Naperville school up 15-13.
- The third set against NCC was tightly contested. The Scarlet Hawks built an early 8-3 lead and increased it to as much as six at 15-9. However, the Cardinals worked back into the match and stole the lead late to close things out.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Michael Drews had a strong match against Marian with a team-high nine kills.
- David Allen tallied eight kills and six digs against Marian.
- Andrew Woltman led the Scarlet Hawks with assists against the Sabres with 15. He also led Illinois Tech with 15 assists against North Central.
- Kyle Bumpass (three assisted) and Evan Robeck (one solo, two assisted) each led the Scarlet Hawks in blocks against Marian.
- Lukasz Kupiec‘s strongest match of the day came against the Cardinals (nine kills, 14 assists, three block assists).
- Yuriy Shepta tallied a .571 hitting percentage against North Central.
- The Scarlet Hawks will host a Senior Day tri-match on Friday, March 3. Illinois Tech will host Olivet College (3 p.m.) and Robert Morris-Chicago (7 p.m.). Live audio, video, and stats will be available. The live audio will be powered by Illinois Media School.