Oak Ridge National Laboratory (ORNL) is currently accepting applications for the prestigious Distinguished Staff Fellowship Program. ORNL is the largest and most diverse science and energy laboratory in the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) system. ORNL’s Distinguished Staff Fellowship Program plays a vital role in ensuring the accomplishment of the Laboratory’s mission of delivering scientific discoveries and technological breakthroughs needed to realize solutions in energy and national security and provide economic benefit to the nation.
The goal of the Distinguished Staff Fellowship Program is to identify and develop future ORNL leaders in science and technology. The Program offers early-career scientists and engineers a one-of-a-kind opportunity to conduct world-class research at a premier institution, providing generous support as the Fellows initiate long-term careers at the Laboratory.
ORNL’s targeted research directions include:
- Discovery and design of new materials and chemical processes for energy
- Scaling computing and data analytics to exascale and beyond
- Science and applications of neutron scattering
- Breakthrough nuclear technologies and systems
- Complexity in biological and environmental systems
- Isotope production and applications
- Development and manufacturing of integrated energy systems
- Science & Technology to address complex security challenges
- Quantum materials and information sciences
- Cyber-physical systems
- Quantitative biology and genome security
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning
Applicants must have received their Ph.D. in a STEM field before they begin their fellowship and can be no more than five years beyond receiving their doctorate when they apply. They cannot be current ORNL employees. Because Fellows serve as ORNL representatives with the U.S. Department of Energy and other research and development sponsors, demonstrated leadership skills are also integral to selection.
For additional information regarding the Weinberg, Wigner, and Russell Fellowships offered through the ORNL Distinguished Staff Fellowships Program, please visit the website: https://www.ornl.gov/careers/distinguished-fellowships. The application deadline is Friday, November 1.