RIVER FOREST, Ill.–The Illinois Tech women’s basketball team played a Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC) contest on January 12, taking on the Concordia University Chicago Cougars. Tech (0-14, 0-10 NACC) was defeated by CUC (5-10, 5-7 NACC) 64-44.
How it Happened
- The Cougars entered the game on an impressive 14-0 run, which was snapped by Meredith Williams with 5:44 remaining in the first quarter.
- After the run, the Scarlet Hawks defense tightened up, not allowing a made CUC field goal until the 9:43 mark in the second quarter, a span lasing over seven minutes.
- Brooke Rowan would have arguably her best quarter of the season in the second to keep the Scarlet Hawks in it, scoring nine as Tech entered the half down 33-22.
- The Scarlet Hawks came out with energy in the second half, trimming the Cougar lead down to seven while holding the hosts scoreless over the first 3:21 of the third quarter.
- However, the CUC offense would find life, scoring 20 points over the rest of the third and riding the momentum to an insurmountable fourth quarter lead.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Rowan scored a career-high 15 points on just eight shot attempts. She took nine free throw attempts, making six, and tallied nine rebounds.
- Erin Efimoff also had a strong game with 14 points and seven rebounds. Six of the seven boards came in the first half.
Stats to Know
- Rebounds were even at 39-39.
- The teams combined for 59 turnovers.
- Tech shot 25 free throws compared to CUC’s 10.
- The Scarlet Hawks will play at Concordia University Wisconsin on Wednesday night at 7 p.m.