The Illinois Tech women’s soccer team won its second consecutive contest to open the season on Sunday night, once again in a shutout. With the decision never in doubt, the Scarlet Hawks rolled to a 5-0 victory over the Beloit College Buccaneers at Stuart Field.
How it Happened
- While movement was slow for both teams in the early going, the Scarlet Hawks began to take control in the middle of the first half. In the 18th minute, Anna Delseith scored on a Jamie Griggs assist to start a Tech run.
- Nine minutes and six shots later, the Scarlet Hawks scored once again on a Griggs assist. This time, she found Emily Dashiell for her first collegiate goal.
- Tech’s 2-0 lead held into halftime despite the Hawks peppering the Buccaneers with 17 first-half shots. It did not take long for offense to continue in the second half, however, as Elena Esparcia Cañada notched her first goal of the season on a penalty kick three minutes in.
- Esparcia Cañada would go on to play a factor in Tech’s two other second-half goals, assisting to Erin James in the 58th minute and Griggs in the 60th minute.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Esparcia Cañada and Griggs each had a goal and two assists.
- Delseith, Dashiell, and James all scored one goal a piece. James led the Scarlet Hawks with five shots on the day.
- Emily Garza (2-0), Catherine Klemp, and Cheryl Gardner combined for a shutout for the second match in a row.
- The Scarlet Hawks hit the road for the first time this season on Wednesday as Tech takes on North Central College at 7 p.m.