Illinois Tech graduate students are invited to apply for the Starr Research Fellowship and the Fieldhouse Research Fellowship. Each fellowship provides up to $15,000 for one year and can be used for tuition support and stipend. The fellowships are not renewable, but may be supplemented by funding from other sources.
The fellowships are made possible through a generous donation from the Starr Foundation, and Illinois Tech’s capital campaign match to honor Irv Fieldhouse, who until his death in 2005 had been an active member of the Illinois Tech/IITRI community for more than 40 years. To enhance Fieldhouse’s commitment in developing joint research projects, both fellowships target research that leads to cooperation between Illinois Tech and IIT Research Institute (IITRI), the Institute for Food Safety and Health (IFSH), Fermilab, or Argonne National Laboratory (ANL).
Illinois Tech students currently enrolled in a Master of Science or Doctoral program in the following departments: AM, BIO, BME, CAEE, CHBE, CHEM, CS, ECE, MMAE, or physics. The student must be nominated by an Illinois Tech faculty member (see below for faculty member eligibility).
The fellows are required to pursue advanced study and research under faculty guidance; support faculty and their external advisors in specific research projects; and make their own contributions to academe through writing and research.
A single application is considered for both the Starr Research Fellowship and the Fieldhouse Research Fellowship
*International students are eligible to apply
Eligibility of Advisor: Tenure-track assistant professor or above, from AM, BIO, BME, CAEE, CHBE, CHEM, CS, ECE, MMAE, or physics.
Note: The Illinois Tech advisor should recommend the contact and initiate the communication with IITRI, IFSH, Fermilab, or ANL.
Application Packet Requirements:
- Completed application form
- A proposed plan of research describing the proposed work, its novelty and importance, and its impact on collaboration between Illinois Tech and IITRI, IFSH, Fermilab or ANL
- Previous Research Experience
- Three letters of recommendation (include the Reference Report Form for each reference)
- (one) from the Illinois Tech research advisor
- (one) from the external research advisor
- (one) from other reference (can be a professor at Illinois Tech that is not your research advisor)
- Copies of college transcripts (unofficial transcripts are acceptable)
- Resume or CV
Download Application Material
- Application Form (for both Starr and Fieldhouse Research Fellowships)
- Reference Report Form
Deadline: Friday, February 10, 2017 at noon
Application, references, and reference report forms should be emailed to Elizabeth Soto, email@example.com.