CHICAGO—On a snowy and emotional day on Senior Day, the Illinois Tech women’s lacrosse team secured the second seed in the Midwest Women’s Lacrosse Conference Tournament with their dominant victory against Beloit Saturday. The Scarlet Hawks defeated the Buccaneers, 15-4, at Stuart Field.
Before the match, Tech honored their five seniors before the start of the match for all their hard work and dedication to the Scarlet Hawk Women’s Lacrosse program.
How It Happened
- Tech started the scoring in the match with a goal in the first minute by senior Madison Meredith.
- Six minutes later, Beloit had the answer and tied the match at 1.
- Both teams traded goals midway through the first half to make it 2-2.
- The Scarlet Hawks then scored three unanswered to go ahead 5-2. The Buccaneers ended the run with a goal with under seven minutes left.
- Going into the halftime with some momentum was Tech who got a goal from Meredith.
- The momentum surely shifted as the Scarlet Hawks scored seven unanswered goals in the second half before Beloit was able to get their only goal in the second half with 6:35 left in the match. Seniors Meredith, Alyssa DeLuca and two by Isabella Rubin scored during that run.
- Senior Jennifer Young scored a goal with 3:49 left in the match and that ended the scoring for both teams.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Shanie Scoles led the way with more goals as the sophomore picked up eight goals.
- With two shot attempts, both of them went in for Rubin, who had two goals.
- Scoring two goals and helping with three of them was Meredith proved to be huge for the Scarlet Hawks.
- Elizabeth Zia improved to 5-1 on the season after only allowing three goals and picking up three saves.
- Also being a force in goalkeeper was Jessica Cochis, who only gave up on goal in the second half and recorded three saves.
Stats to Know
- Tech was superior clearing the ball today as the Scarlet Hawks were 12-16 today.
- The Scarlet Hawks outshot the Buccaneers, 37-12.
- Owning the draw control in the second half came up big for Tech, who won every draw control in the second half.
- Tech returns to action and competes in the semifinals of the MWLC Tournament which begin Friday, May 3 as the Scarlet Hawks take on Aurora. The two teams met earlier this year back on March 27 with Tech coming out on top in overtime, 10-9. The match time is TBA.