The Illinois Tech Global Leaders Program (GLP) has exciting volunteer opportunities for adult professionals and university students who are interested in mentoring diverse, highly motivated high school juniors.
GLP is an academic enrichment program which aims to inspire students to lead and serve their communities, explore STEM, and access higher education. Community Innovation Project Mentors support GLP scholars as they work in teams to develop and implement a project to address a social issue of their choice.
What are Community Innovation Projects?
Community Innovation Projects (CI Projects) provide a unique opportunity for students to identify their passions, think critically about social challenges, and make a real impact in their communities. Scholars spend their junior year (August-May) designing, managing, and implementing community-based projects. Previous teams have addressed mental health, sustainability, violence, STEM and educational access, and more.
What are Project Mentor expectations?
- Mentor and advise a team of five-eight scholars as they identify objectives, create a budget, manage projects, connect with external resources, and implement plans
- Attend monthly workshops on Illinois Tech’s Mies (Main) Campus the first Sunday of every month
- Check-in regularly with scholars through virtual communications and in-person meetings
- Communicate with program staff about group progress
- Serve as a positive role model
Project Mentors commit an average of 10 to 12 hours per month, starting in August and continuing through May.
What are benefits of volunteering as a Project Mentor?
- Make a positive impact in Chicago communities
- Work with talented teens and support their leadership development
- Receive mentorship training and professional development
- Connect with other mentors from across the city
- Have fun and learn from scholars, fellow mentors, and program staff
If you like working with teens, have experience implementing projects, and care about making a social impact, please apply. The mentor application for the 2017–18 academic year is now open. Complete the application here.
Questions about becoming a GLP Project Mentor can be directed to Annie Littrell at firstname.lastname@example.org.