CHICAGO—The Illinois Tech women’s basketball team earned a victory on the last day of the season, downing Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC) foe Rockford. Tech (1-23, 1-19 NACC) defeated the Regents (2-23, 2-18 NACC) 69-58 on Senior Day
How It Happened
- The Scarlet Hawks started off strong offensively, with Erin Nelson providing a big first-quarter spark with eight points over the first 10 minutes.
- Both teams scored 16 points in the first quarter, with Rockford’s Nicole Silvers netting a shot with two seconds left.
- While Nelson and Meredith Williams hit baskets to give Tech leads in the quarter, the Regents controlled most of the tempo. The Regents held Tech scoreless the final 1:46 of the second quarter, giving Rockford a 31-28 halftime stay.
- Rockford started the third quarter on a high note, building its lead to as high as eight at 38-30. However, the Scarlet Hawks would quickly blitz the Regents, scoring six points over the next 50 seconds to pull to within two at 38-36 with 5:35 left in the frame.
- Tech took its first lead since the middle of the second quarter on an Erin Efimoff jumper at the 3:50 mark. Rockford was able to slow the run and was able to move the score to a 47-47 tie after three.
- Illinois Tech, however, saved its best play for the fourth quarter. Shannon O’Donnell was a force, scoring 15 of Tech’s 22 points and attempting 11 free throws. She also had six rebounds, two assists, and three steals over the 10 minute span.
- The rest of the team supplemented O’Donnell in the quarter. Williams hit a big jumper with 5:47 left that put the Scarlet Hawks up seven, the team’s largest lead of the game up to that point. On the next possession, she blocked a Regents shot.
- Nelson provided the exclamation point, draining yet another three at the 2:22 mark to move the lead to 10 (61-51).
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- O’Donnell went to the free throw line an astounding 16 times, scoring a game-high 25 points. She also had 12 rebounds, six assists, and five steals.
- Nelson continued her strong second half of the season, scoring 19 points, hitting four threes, and grabbing eight rebounds.
- Erin Efimoff had 12 points and nine rebounds.
Stats to Know
- The Scarlet Hawks hit 21-of-24 free throws for an 87.5% clip.
- Tech outrebounded Rockford 39-33 and won the turnover battle 18-16.