RIVER FOREST. Ill.—The Illinois Tech women’s lacrosse team was handed its first Midwest Women’s Lacrosse Conference (MWLC) loss on Tuesday afternoon at the hands of Concordia University Chicago. The Cougars (5-3, 4-2 MWLC) stunned the Scarlet Hawks (3-2, 3-1 MWLC) 13-8 behind a strong first half.
How It Happened
- After CUC’s Anna Kellar scored the match’s opening goal, Alyssa DeLuca matched it courtsey of a Madison Meredith assist.
- The Cougars would take control for the remainder of the half, rattling off five straight goals to carry a 6-1 advantage into halftime. CUC was particularly impressive just before the whistle, scoring twice in the last 3:16.
- Kellar stood out for the Cougars at the start of the second half, scoring Concordia’s first three goals. While Tech was able to score a few times to break up a Kellar run, Concordia still led 9-3 with 17:29 remaining.
- The Cougars would score twice more to take an 11-3 lead with 11:53 left; CUC’s largest of the match. Jennifer Young and Meredith were quick to answer for Tech, scoring within 1:30 of Concordia’s 11th goal.
- However, the Cougars were able to slow Tech’s offense enough the rest of the way. While the Scarlet Hawks pulled to within five, it was not enough to overcome a slow start.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Shanie Scoles led the team with three goals. She also had an assist and five draw controls.
- Both Young and DeLuca added two goals each.Young led the Scarlet Hawks with six ground balls as well.
- Meredith had a goal, two assists, and four draw controls.
Stats to Know
- The Cougars controlled the shot opportunities all match, outshooting the Scarlet Hawks 36-16 on the day.
- Turnovers halted Tech, as the Hawks committed 33 compared to CUC’s 22.
- The Scarlet Hawks have a chance to bounce back tomorrow night against Aurora University at 6 p.m. at Stuart Field. The MWLC match will have live audio, video, and stats, with the live audio powered by Illinois Media School.