The Illinois Tech Women’s Lacrosse team traveled to Kalamazoo, Michigan, on March 2 to take on Kalamazoo College for the first game of the season. The Scarlet Hawks were down 4-0 early, but managed to climb back, send the game into overtime, and defeat the Hornets 9-8.
- Illinois Tech 1-0
- Kalamazoo 0-1
How It Happened
- The Hawks started the game flat-footed and committed several turnovers. The Hornets managed to score four goals within the first 15 minutes of the first half.
- But Illinois Tech was able to cut the lead in half by intermission as sophomore Alyssa DeLuca scored two goals to make it a manageable 4-2 deficit.
- Both teams traded goals to begin the second half, but two consecutive goals by DeLuca tied the game at 5-5. The lead was short-lived, as the Hornets quickly capitalized and regained the lead 20 seconds later.
- Illinois Tech continued to fight as another goal by DeLuca cut the deficit to one (8-7) with 7:30 left on the clock, but the outcome looked grim as the Hawks were still down with one minute left. A late foul by the Hornets gave the Hawks a free position attempt, and DeLuca was able to convert as the Hawks tied the game in thrilling fashion with two seconds left in the game.
- The three minute overtime ended as soon as it began as Isabella Rubin scored 12 seconds in, giving the Hawks the 9-8 victory.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- DeLuca had a fantastic start to the season scoring six goals on seven shots and causing three turnovers.
- Rubin also had a strong start to the season, tallying two goals on five shots, one of which was the game winning goal, and winning two draw controls.
- Sophomore Madison Meredith had a big influence on the game, scoring one goal on three total shots and tallying two assists.
- Isabel Fitzpatrick-Meyers tallied a game-high three assists and had three shots.
Stats to Know
- Illinois Tech outshot Kalamazoo by four, 20-16.
- The Hawks picked up 16 more ground balls than the Hornets (26-10).
- Illinois Tech had seven draw controls compared to 12 for the Hornets.
- The Scarlet Hawks head to Monmouth College on Saturday, March 4 for the first Midwest Women’s Lacrosse Conference game of the season. The game is scheduled to start at noon.