The Illinois Tech women’s soccer team hosted UW-Stevens Point for a late afternoon match on Sunday. The two teams combined for five goals in a 3-2 loss for the Scarlet Hawks.
- UW-SP (1-5), Tech (0-4-1)
How it Happened
- It did not take long for the Pointers to get on the board. Just 101 seconds into the match, Maddie Hardyman scored to put UW-SP up 1-0.
- However, the Scarlet Hawks would counter quickly. Anida Phetchanphengscored her first goal of the season at the eight minute mark to tie the score.
- The next 30 minutes of play was tightly contested, with both teams attempting multiple shots. It was the Pointers who took control late in the half, scoring in the 36th and 38th minutes to go up 3-1 heading into halftime.
- Illinois Tech started strong in the second half, as Olivia Kochanek added a goal off of a great cross from Katie Hoefgen. It was Kochanek’s first goal and Hoefgen’s second assist of the season.
- Much like the first half, the second half was very tight down the stretch. A Hoefgen shot with just 51 seconds left to play was saved by UW-SP keeper Sarah Peplinski, stopping Tech’s final threat of the match.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Kochanek scored and led the team with four shots (two shots on goal).
- Phetchanpheng scored on her only shot of the match.
- Hoefgen attempted two shots, both of them on net.
- Madison Harris attempted two shots.
For the Foes
- Hardyman, Reilly Louko, and Danielle Thomason all scored for UW-SP.
Stats to Know
- The shot total was close, as the Pointers held a 15-14 advantage.
- UW-SP also held the advantage in shots on goal 7-6.
- Each team attempted three corner kicks.
- The Scarlet Hawks will compete at Benedictine University at 7:00 p.m. on Wednesday.