The Illinois Tech Women’s Soccer team (9-2-1, 4-1 NACC) was defeated for the first time in conference play on October 2. The Concordia University Chicago Cougars (3-9, 3-2 NACC) limited Illinois Tech’s shots on net throughout and downed the Scarlet Hawks 2-0 to pull off the upset.
How it Happened
- Six of the first seven shots of the match were recorded by the Scarlet Hawks. The only one on net, a Julia Taliana attempt, was saved by CUC’s Madeline Kroll in the 24th minute. Concordia’s Esmeralda Torres scored in the 29th minute.
- Neither team recorded another shot for the rest of the half, but the Scarlet Hawks came close early in the second half. Illinois Tech fired off two shots in the 51st minute, but were forced wide right on one and blocked on the other.
- The Cougars began to gain more consistent possession as the half carried on, which hurt the Hawks in the 72nd minute. Concordia’s Emily Ordonez took a clear shot from Sydney Fuller in front of the net and kicked it in to arrive at the eventual 2-0 final score.
- Illinois Tech recorded three shots on goal in the final 12 minutes of the match, all of which were turned away by Kroll.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts
- Taliana led the team with four shots (one on net).
- Katie Hoefgen (three shots), Erin James (two shots), and Julia Honda (one shot) also tallied shots on goal.
Stats to Know
- Despite the Scarlet Hawks out shooting the Cougars 15-8 overall, shots on goal were even at four each.
- The Scarlet Hawks recorded 10 fouls compared to CUC’s four.
- The loss marks the first time the Scarlet Hawks dropped consecutive matches since September 16 and 18 of the 2017 season.
- Women’s Soccer will face Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference (NACC) foe Alverno College on Saturday, October 6 at 2:30 p.m.