The Illinois Tech Women’s Volleyball team faced UC Clermont and Anderson University on day one of the Scarlet Hawk Invite (September 29). The Scarlet Hawks defeated UCC 3-1 before falling to Anderson 3-0. On day two (September 30) they fell to Olivet College and Albion College.
Scores – Day One
- Illinois Tech 3, UCC 1 (20-25, 25-16, 25-9, 25-12)
- AU 3, Illinois Tech 0, (22-25, 18-25, 15-25)
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – UCC Match
- Taylor Burton continued her impressive stretch of play with a .450 hit percentage, 11 kills, one solo block, and two block assists.
- Courtney Curcio was impressive in the back row with 24 digs and three service aces.
- Justine Bracco‘s steady improvement this season once again showed. She hit an impressive .412 percent to go along with nine kills.
- Sara Hassell led Illinois Tech with 16 kills to go along with 11 digs, two aces, and two total blocks (one solo, one assisted).
- Natalie Freund led the team with 25 assists while chipping in nine digs and two aces.
Stats to Know
- It was a balanced afternoon for the Scarlet Hawks, impressive offensively (.242%) and defensively (holding UCC to .017%).
- Illinois Tech out dug UCC an astounding 66-35.
- Kills were 52-23 in favor of the Scarlet Hawks.
- UC Clermont was able to hang around thanks to a strong service game, tallying 11 aces.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – AU Match
- Hassell led the team with 17 kills while tallying nine digs.
- Burton had nine kills and a .231 hit percentage with four total blocks.
- Freund and Courtney Darling had 14 assists each.
- Curcio paced Illinois Tech with 18 digs.
Stats to Know – AU Match
- Service errors doomed the Scarlet Hawks, losing 10-0 in the category.
- Illinois Tech fell despite a strong defense up front, winning the block battle 12-6.
- Kills were even at 35.
Scores – Day Two
- Olivet 3, Illinois Tech 0 (15-25, 17-25, 13-25)
- Albion 3, Illinois Tech 0 (12-25, 19-25, 14-25)
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – Olivet Match
- Darling paced the Scarlet Hawks with 15 assists.
- Curcio led the team with nine digs.
- Alyssa Miner, Hassell, and Burton all had three block assists. Hassell also contributed 10 kills.
Stats to Know – Olivet Match
- Illinois Tech was out hit .215 to -.093.
- The Scarlet Hawks out dug Olivet 45-44.
- Each team had 12 block assists. The Comets also contributed three solo blocks.
Scarlet Hawk Standouts – Albion Match
- Burton was impressive. She tallied 10 kills, five total blocks (two solo, three assisted), and a .333 hit percentage.
- Hassell had eight kills and eight digs.
- Katherine McCutcheon contributed three block assists.
Stats to Know – Albion Match
- Service aces were a major factor, as the Britons recorded 15 compared to just three for Illinois Tech.
- Albion out hit the Scarlet Hawks .345% to .130%, leading in kills 40-24.
- The Britons won the digs battle 37-27.
- The Scarlet Hawks will head north to Alverno College in Milwaukee, Wisconsin, on Tuesday, October 3 for a 7 p.m. match.