In honor of Ludwig Mies van der Rohe’s 129th birthday, the Ludwig Mies van der Rohe Society and the Office of Institutional Advancement will be hosting a birthday party on Thursday, March 26 at 5:30 p.m. in S.R. Crown Hall. Top emerging designers—four of whom are Illinois Institute of Technology alumni—will create SHOW ROOMS in S.R. Crown Hall using Mies’ timeless furniture as inspiration. Emcee Lee Bey, former architecture critic for WBEZ and the Chicago Sun-Times, will introduce the featured designers:
- Stephen Burks (DSGN ’92), Stephen Burks Man Made
- Katherine Darnstadt (ARCH ’05), Latent Design
- Melissa Johnston, Skidmore, Owings, & Merrill LLP
- Ryan Monteleagre (M.S. ARCH ’13), RDK Design LTD
- Todd Snapp (ARCH ’01), Perkins+Will
Each designer’s creation will go before a panel of jurors, who will select a winner. Jurors include:
- Gordon Segal, Crate & Barrel
- Maurice Parrish, Farnsworth House (National Trust for Historic Preservation)
- Skip Redner, Knoll
- David Williams, Morningstar Inc.
The evening will begin at 5:30 p.m. with cocktails and hors d’oeuvres in Crown Hall. Admission is free to IIT faculty, staff, and students. Click here for more information and to register online. Contact Lauren Shelby at 312.567.5042 or firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.